Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

The bank charges high fees for managing my trust account. What can I do?

You should start by finding out whether the fees are limited by your trust agreement, a court order, or applicable state law. If the fees on your account are within any such limits, you may consider moving your trust to a bank with lower management fees. If you believe the fees on your account exceed any such limits, contact the bank or seek legal assistance. You can also file a written complaint with the Office of the Comptroller's (OCC) OCC Customer Assistance Group.

Generally, federal banking laws and regulations do not govern the nature or amount of compensation that may be paid to banks acting as trustees.

Refer to 12 CFR 9 "Fiduciary Activities of National Banks."

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us